Tuesday, September 30, 2008

My experience with JSW

Finally I got a job. Obviously it was a dream for all. It was my first job. Here it goes. My experience how I got it and working there for one month [:)]. I, my friends anand, palguna and naveen was in a surprise when we heard that the interview will be held the next day in salem. We packed ourselves to salem tat nite. It was a ordinary day wen we reached salem early morning @ 5. We fought for many lodges and finally got one. It was an average rated lodge with 2 beds. We slept for about 2 hours and got up half asleep. Took bath, prepared some notes for interview [:)] and dressed up somewat formally. We had breakfast and started our journey toward the future. We started our travel to JSW. It was about 40 km from salem junction. We got into a bus. Nice songs, cool breeze, eye catching greenery, etc. But cant enjoy those since my frenz insisted me to study (believe yaar). We got down at jsw company bus stop. We walked some half mile.

The company was visible in my two eyes. I had a small dream of working in such a big company (Rs. 1200 Crore Turn over company man. Believe it). We carried ourselves to the HR office. We waited till 10.30 (2 hours) and finally got one question “who are u guys” [:)]. We explained all and submitted our academic documents. The process of waiting continued with some teas in-between. We waited, waited n it was 1 p.m. A call. Not a interview call. They called us to give the food coupons. We went to canteen and had a hefty lunch… our frend naveen was as usual having non-stop feed with no output (speak) [:)]. Then we again came to HR office. A shift from HR to admin block. But the process of waiting continued. We waited till 5. Finally wen v taught of spending our nite in salem, I heard a voice sayin, u 4 guys go upstairs for interview. I din know how to react. We went. Our frend naveen was the first person to attend the interview. We were very tensed. He came out with a smile. He said the HR and tech person inside the interview panel are very cool. I was somewat happy. I was the 3rd one to attend the interview. The interview was very cool and informal. We all waited for that result thing. There it is. I and anand was selected. I was in a dream world. Thank god.

We started back to Chennai. I was happy aftr getting my first core (mining) job. I got the joining letter 2 months later. They told me to join as soon as the final year results are displayed. I replied them that I will be joining on 25 July 2008. The day came. Unfortunately I was the only person joining jsw. Anand got another job in ACC cements ltd. So I was alone. I packed my heavy luggage. My mom n dad wer very happy that their son s gonna work. But they too had a worry of being separated frm him. I started to salem in a UD bus. It was 9.10 p.m. I cald all my frenz n told them tat I m leaving for salem for job. They all greeted me. I reached salem the nxt day morning (25 July 2008). I found one lodge and parked my luggages and had one small sleep. I woke up and dressed up. Took my academic documents and went to company. Luckily I got company cab. Air conditioned, audio enabled cab. A good journey lead me to my company, The Jindal South West (JSW) Steel Limited, Salem. As usual, I reported to HR department. I, along with other 5 persons wer joining as GET (Graduate Engineer Trainee). After finishing all the formalities, I was given a one week schedule of orientation in the plant.

The next day, my first day on job. It was very joyful and interesting. The orientation went on smooth. I learned the process of steel making, A to Z. Excellent infrastructure and processes. I was amazed to see many of those processes. Thank god, I got such an opportunity which people rarely get. People were very friendly and explained the terminologies with full clarity. I prepared one small report about this one week orientation. I submitted to my boss (GM, Mines). He appreciated me and guided me to do some works. I was then directed to do some works in Materials management department. What next?? I too learnt material management using advanced software (Oracle 11g). I professionally became a material manager and many people begun asking many queries to me. I was much involved in my work and got many applauds for my hard work. The work went on. But I felt very lonely. Being separated from family n frends, I was a bit depressed. But the work n the people around me kept my life going. I was given much respect and hospitality among other workers.

As time went, I felt tat I was engaged in doin some works irrelevant to me. Infact I did some work which another person has to do. He was sitting idle and I was engaged in the work. This hurt me a lot. At first I thought it wud b for few days. But the work continued. I was sick of doin the same kind of work (the work irrelevant to my academics). And wat not, I heard some news that the actual mining work will be starting only after 6 or 8 months, I was shocked. I don know what to do. I also din get self satisfaction in doing such job. So I decided. Stayin in such a job will make me forget mining. So I had a brain storm with my mom n dad. They also insisted me in changing my career path. There comes the change. Coming soon!!! [:)]


No comments: